Buddhism is slowly and steadily becoming one of the most followed religions of the world. Among various sacred elements, two of the most prominent things that we hear about Buddhism are Buddhist monks and meditation. We will talk of about the significance that these two things hold in Buddhist culture.
Significance Of Buddhist Monks:
- The primary task of a Buddhist monk is to spread the teachings of Lord Buddha. They devote their entire life to this task and the well-being of the religion, as a whole.
- Although a Buddhist monk ideally renounces his worldly life, he still has a lot to do withthe welfare of the society. They are the only people who can solve the problems of a follower of Buddhism. Hence, their focus lies on their followers; they help their followers by advising them on all stages of life.
- Apart from the above two roles, another important significance of a Buddhist monk is that he also engages himself in various social activities. There are a number of schools, hospitals and other charitable institutions that are run by Buddhist monks.
Importance Of Meditation In Buddhism:
- The first and foremost benefit of meditation is the fact that it improves our memory power, even under stress.
- It is the quick solution in calming the mind and the body when we feel too much pressure or suffer from anxiety, nervousness or stress.
- Regular meditation helps a person keep sudden negative mood swings at bay.
- The power of concentration is greatly honed by the practice of regular meditation. Mental distractions can be tackled smartly if a person is a regular meditator.
- Meditation curbs the chances of degradation of the brain. Research proves that there is a strong connection between meditation and intelligence, since it substantially increases the size of a person’s brain.
- The immunity system of a person’s body becomes more attuned with the common diseases that can affect a person’s body.
- Apart from basic common diseases, medical research also proves that regular meditation has a positive effect on people suffering from heart diseases, high blood pressure, cancer, and asthma among many others.
- Meditating is a great way to rejuvenate the human body when fatigue strikes. In fact, a meditation break can also work as a substitute of sleep.
- Chronic pain, whether physical or emotional, can be cured to a large extent by inculcating the good habit of meditating every day.
- With meditation, a person becomes more attuned with his surroundings since it has major positive effects on his alertness and vigilance.
The Buddhist culture becomes all the more transparent after a person goes through the significant roles that monks and meditation play in Buddhism and the life of a Buddhism follower.